[Dixielandjazz] The Beach Boys (and girls)

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 13 19:33:39 PST 2007

Cebuisle2 at aol.com wrote:

> Hey Rick-

> I was raised on Long Island. We would go to Fire island or Jones beach to
> party-at night!  Under the blankets!!
> Word had it that half the pregnancies resulted from nights "on the  beach"

> What partyless beach are you referring  to?

> Ted   (who only read  "Downbeat" mags under the blankets)

I hear you talking Ted. In the 1950s/60s, I played many a beach party at
Jones Beach and Gilgo Beach for the lifeguard and other parties, and on Fire
Island for the artsy crowd.  Also at Westhampton Beach a little further out
at the Tiana Beach Club, and at The Cliff House. With The Beale Street
Stompers, The Southampton Dixie, Racing and Clambake Society JB, and Barbone
Street.

Was that your Downbeat I used to borrow to read while Roy Eldridge was
walking, talking and resting on the sand, or in a parked car in the
moonlight with some young socialite? (That's another story. :-) VBG)

And lately? Oh how I wish I had the jpeg of that lovely young girl flashing
her bikini top at us for beads, from the Marina in the bay next to Rehoboth
Beach Delaware, just a few years ago during a Louis Armstrong Birthday Bash
weekend. Wiggins, do you still have a copy of that? My computer crashed
right after I sent it to you and I lost it.

That beach stuff still goes on. It is just that most of us old farts, are no
longer interested in that scene. Beach, Bonfire, Wine, Women & Song. (Jazz
Band) It does not get much better than that unless you are benign.

Cheers,
Steve (life is a beach) Barbone