[Dixielandjazz] Another one from the TPIN...

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 13 14:54:33 PST 2007

ooooooooohhh, cognitive dissonance, co-dependent "we think", inner passive

aggressive self. Dog, you are rollin'. Outstanding. It could be a new

idea for Law and Order Musical Intent where the fox trot lady murders the

trumpet player..

Its about time we had an excellent post like this. Keep up the good work

Pat. Is there some sexual undertones in this story? If not, you need to

put some in. Old ladies provide a wealth of latent suppressed Freudian

sexual deviancy. She obviously projected these onto you.

You didn't realize how close you may have been to being "Offed"

glenn, I used to be a Psych major at U of Michigan,bengry :+D

Music Mavens,

Somewhat related to subliminal messages and trumpet wages, I offer the

following...

Played a fun gig a couple weeks ago - a dance for an established dance club

(translation - rich people over the age of 65). They asked for a mix of

swing, standards and also more *modern* stuff right up to and including

disco (trying to recruit younger people). We started off with the usual

stuff (In the Mood, Little Brown Jug, PA-6500) and then someone asked for

something a bit faster so we trotted out Jump, Jive 'n Wail... and it was

ON!

These senior citizens went to town, so we kept it rolling with At-The-Hop,

Mustang Sally, Rock-Around-The-Clock (sounds great with a trumpet solo in

A, honestly!). The dance floor was absolutely jam-packed with happy,

dancing people. Some white-haired guy shouted out, "How about Wipe-out?"

and the drummer kicked it in (this tune rocks with three horns, I'm telling

ya). Tthen we cranked it up even a notch higher with Ike/Tina's version of

Proud Mary! Yeah babee!!

And then it happened. An otherwise very nice-looking woman made her way to

the bandstand with a pinched, disapproving look on her face. I snagged her

before she could distract my bari player, with a big welcoming, "Yes? May

I help you?" She said, while clearing her throat, "This group is more of a

fox-trot crowd than all this rock 'n roll stuff." I surveyed the

jam-packed dance floor, still teeming with sweaty 60--to-80-somethings and

resisted my mind's overwhelming urge to signal my mouth to say, "Hey lady,

look at the dance floor; are you blind, or just crazy?" Instead, I

serenely suggested that we would be happy to play a couple of nice fox-trot

tempo songs for her and her dance partner. She didn't notice that I was

subconciously fingering low-D on my CG Benge as my mind/body/soul processed

her request. I definitely had a short, intense bout of cognitive

dissonance as I tried to incorporate her warped version of reality into my

experience.

So we dropped into a smooth version of "The Very Thought of You," my genius

pianist tinkling the ivories just so, the bass player leaning on just the

right notes. I smiled in perverse satisfaction as the dance floor quickly

emptied so the two experienced fox-trotting couples could do their thing.

Interesting that she couldn't merely approach the band and request a song,

but tried to inform me we were doing it all wrong, amidst the swaying,

swinging throng on the dance floor that in real-time and in living color

refuted her ridiculous assertion. I wonder what unresolved childhood

issues prevented her from simply asking for what she wanted, requiring

instead for her to wrap up her request into some co-dependent "we-think,"

of undoing some terrible wrong?

So we played another fox-trot, just to make sure we got it extra right,

before getting back to some Elvis, Rolling Stones and Louie Prima.

Gigging isn't just about playing for the people and getting paid - it's a

great opportunity for psychological field study and getting in touch with

your inner passive-aggressive self.

Patrick Olguin - not a psychologist, but plays one on the weekends.

p.s. I find that my gold-plated Benge 5X plays jazz waltzes most sweetly,

but that's just one more thing to bring on a gig so I leave it at home.

http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline

Warmest regards,
Bob Romans,
1617 Lakeshore Drive,