[Dixielandjazz] Change variants

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 12 14:44:31 PST 2007

It's interesting how one change changed can make a tune sound so different.

I just heard, on www.live365.com (dixieland gumbo), Al Hirt doing "Fidgety
Feet".  I've always heard the break at the end of the first strain as a
tonic (usually Bb)...he did it with a diminished whatever.

I decided long ago that I like a g minor in the 3rd bar of That's A-Plenty.
   Similar in Everybody Loves My Baby, the 4th bar of the bridge is often
done as a G7.  I think the original sheet has a Bb there.  I've played it
either way, if I'm not sure what the rest of the rhythm section is going to
do I make sure to play a D on the downbeat!

I like throwing in a tritone sub  V7 on "Pretty Baby", 5 before the end.

There is often a question about turnarounds in blues tunes, at the tenth bar
of a 12 bar form.  Gotta listen, gotta listen...something that, in my
experience, a lot of bands end up not doing, especially
thrown-together-for-a-specific-gig bands.

steve