[Dixielandjazz] Playing for free vs. undermining the pros

David Dustin postmaster at fountainsquareramblers.org
Mon Feb 12 05:19:30 PST 2007

The age-old resentment of whores by hookers comes to mind. We¹d all rather
sell it than give it away free, and many have offered great guidelines for
determining when to give it and when to try to sell it.  The issue is, IMO,
there are far fewer pro bands playing OKOM today (I would speculate) than
semi-compensated amateur bands.  Outside the urban centers of North America
(evidently a different story in Europe or Down Under), it is probably
impossible today to make a living playing OKOM, and I respect and admire
that many listers are able to do that.  But it is not where the bulk of us
are (musically AND from a business standpoint), and time also marches on for
each of us. The pro trad musician who gigged constantly in his salad years
may no longer have the chops or the stamina or the concentration to scrounge
for business all the time.  It gets to be a good thing if one can find a
place to play, even pro bono, just to keep the juices flowing and spread a
little joy to the residents. I can understand and respect that. As a
semi-compensated band, we make fairly decent money where we can, but in the
off season play our county ³poor home² (once called the ³poor farm² in New
England tradition) from time to time, and even play some other subsidized
(or not!) senior retirement centers on a gratis basis if they seem
appreciative.  Some haven¹t, and we don¹t go back, but some do and we go
back every winter and play for lonely old widows and old gents with rusty
zippers and give them the best show we can.  The point is, every market is
different, but up here in New Hampshire there isn¹t any other band I am
aware of playing OKOM ‹ or non-R&R or non-folk/Celtic -- professionally.  We
started something from nothing and if we choose to give some free concerts,
we are not breaking someone else¹s rice bowl.

David Dustin