[Dixielandjazz] PA Jazz Society Memorial For Bill Fortune

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 11 21:16:23 PST 2007

Nancie Beaven <baglady4 at juno.com> wrote:

> Hi Mates:
> Once again, the Barbone Street Jazz Band reminded me why I know how lucky I am
> to live on the East Coast!!! Today's memorial event for Bill Fortune, past
> President of the PA Jazz Society, who we lost in November, and Mardi Gras
> celebration, (remainder snipped for brevity)

Dear Nancie:

Oh my, thank you for such glowing words. It was quite an honor for us to be
there along with Dough Smith and his All Stars.

Additionally for list mate info and Tom Wiggins, we started our portion of
the event with a N.O. Funeral March for Bill, in a very crowded venue, the
Moose Lodge in Easton PA. Started to play after several family members gave
short eulogies and others spoke about him.

We played two dirge choruses of "Just A Closer Walk" while Bill's family
gathered with us in the vestibule. Then we had a diminuendo drum roll, loud
to soft as if the body was being lowered into the grave, and then soft to
loud followed by a roll off as we prepared to leave the grave site. Played a
rollicking "Saints" as we marched up the aisle to the band stand with the
family Second lining behind us. We to the stand and family to the two front
center aisle tables. Very few dry eyes among the 250 or so in the house.

Rest of the program was Mardi Gras Funky Dixieland with banjo, tuba, N.O.
drummer rhythm. Lots of fun and kind of like Rebirth Brass, but with much
more of a  Dixieland spin.

Thank you Nancie, for giving Martha and me that Hot Antic Jazz Band CD. We
put it on for the ride home and it was wonderful. Reminding of us that day
last fall we all spent together with Michel Bastide (Hot Antic leader) and
friends at the recording session in Taggert's studio in NJ.

Enjoyed meeting several groups of other list mates and am still coming down
from the gig. Bill Fortune was an extraordinary man, good friend and we are
all blessed for having known him.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone