[Dixielandjazz] How close?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun Feb 11 18:10:28 PST 2007

Very true - The next guy in line that doesn't get asked is the Clarinet
player.  It's a very useful skill to be able to play anything to anything.
When this happens to me (17 times a gig) and I know I have the first solo up
after the head I will play something akin to what I just played against the
melody as the first solo.  It usually works better if I am reasonably close
to the chords too.  There are only two people that have to know the tune and
that's the cornet player and the piano or banjo player.  The person least
consulted is the drummer.  I'm lucky to be told the key when some of these
guys kick off a tune.  It doesn't bother me much anymore.
Larry
St. Louis