[Dixielandjazz] Musical cartoons (was Playing for free or pay.)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 11 14:20:16 PST 2007

> Lowell Busching wrote:
............. the cartoonist who draws Hagar the Horrible came out with a
cartoon where Hagar's blond daughter is saying..........<

>Don Ingle replied >I also clipped out a running gag thread about iPODS in the
strip Pickles -- about an elderly couple............<

Dear Don and Dawg,
Back in the 70s when my old band (co-foundered with listmate Adrian Ford)
played at the Glenmore Hotel in The Rocks precinct of Sydney (Australia) a
'Wizard of Id' cartoon was published featuring Bung and the barman.
Barman: Business is bad.
Bung: Why not hire some musicians?
Barman; Do you think that would help?
Bung: It should, they drink like fish.
Our tuba man, Terry Fowler, enlarged and mounted the strip and it hung
behind the bar for the 2+ years we played there. Then for several years
afterwards.
Cartoons and OKOM?
Don't get me started!
What about the invention of the piano series in the early days of 'BC'.
Or the frequent musical references in Larson's 'The Far Side' cartoons?
In the 50s-60s here in Sydney famed newspaper cartoonist Emile Mercer (a
jazz lover) frequently included jazz musicians in his work.
The internationally acclaimed US political cartoonist Pat Oliphant is
Australian-born and, as an Adelaide jazz enthusiast in the 50s, provided the
cartoon for an early Australian Jazz Convention program cover.
Kind regards,
Bill.