[Dixielandjazz] Piano Playing Tips

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Feb 9 12:18:53 PST 2007

Regarding the comments below.

I have been playing piano, various styles, professionally for 55 years,
having played my first pro job when I was 12.

There are no absolutes as regards to piano players being able to maintain a
tempo within a rhythm section, or being able to drive a band.

it all depends on the other rhythm instrument players and the pianist
him/herself.  I have worked with rhythm players who listen and are aware of
tempos.  And then there are the ones who are completely oblivious to
anything, including musicians around them, or tempos.

Sometimes acoustics have a play in the mix.  Believe it or not, if the
rhythm section is spread out too far away from each other, and if the
acoustics are such that the sound is bouncing around, it can raise hell with
the rhythm players being able to work together, no matter how good they are.

Often one or more of the members of a rhythm section have a preconceived
idea of what tempo a song should be played at.  Thus, after the leader
counts off the song, the tempo speeds up or slows down to that preconceived
idea.  This is bad news...

Except for very rare instances, (there is an exception to every rule), The
rhythm players should always be aware of the tempo that was counted off, &
keep the tempo there.

--Bob (Now what'd they do with that damn piano?) Ringwald