[Dixielandjazz] Piano tips -- "horn keys"

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Feb 9 10:08:51 PST 2007

When I was in college (dark ages) I played with a couple of string bands.
They played in all the tough keys for sax.  At the time I was playing Alto
so add three sharps.

I was glad they did it because it forced me to play in those off beat keys.
When I started doing shows the keys that the voices were almost always
written in didn't bother me.

They were pressuring me to play tenor and on an extremely thin budget and
that just wasn't possible but a $35 C melody was.  Exit three of the sharps
and those guys thought I was playing tenor.  I never told them either.
Larry
St. Louis