[Dixielandjazz] playing for charity

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Feb 8 15:14:58 PST 2007

Once you play for free you establish your worth in the eyes of the
buyer and it will Never go upwards form there.

Tell them what you charge and that is what you will do the gig for and
if the folks in the band want to donate it back to the charities WORTHY
CAUSE ( usually cause they don't want to pay you  because that would
take away from the money needed to PAY THEM.)

They are perfectly free to do so, Charity should be a two way street.

Cheers,

Tom

   Romans Said "....I said sure and
quoted them my price. I was met with  stunned silence and then "Well,
aren't you going to play for free? After  all, it's for charity....."

Man, ain't that the truth!  I used to be a sideman in a group  that did
the
same freebe year after year for  a society fundraiser. They treated us
like
crap & wouldn't even  feed us sandwiches (the wait staff and stage crew
were fed

the same baron of  beef as the guests). I kept asking our leader when
we were
going to get one of  their real gigs from them; he couldn't answer me.
I had
nothing to lose, so I  approached the boss of the committee regarding a
booking
us at their annual  black tie gala, he said they only hire PROFESSIONAL
groups for that event! go  figure Last I heard, the same group was
still doing
that
freebe.

Tom Loeb