[Dixielandjazz] Julliard school

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Feb 8 12:35:05 PST 2007

This morning I had a real treat.  The Julliard School Jazz quintet came to my school and did a workshop for the kids.  It was very well done  and probably taught more jazz technique and especially feeling than most kids would get in 10 years.  They mainly used the tune Killer Joe and took it apart and had the kids playing the head and they played the bridge etc.  They talked about form and the many, many different things you could do with the tune.

It was one of the best jazz workshops that I have ever seen and the students related to the young people playing a whole lot more than they would a bunch of old jazz guys.   The kids were absolutely glued to every word they said.
Larry
St. Louis