[Dixielandjazz] playing for charity

Trumpetom at aol.com Trumpetom at aol.com
Thu Feb 8 10:58:14 PST 2007

Romans Said "....I said sure and
quoted them my price. I was met with  stunned silence and then "Well,
aren't you going to play for free? After  all, it's for charity....."

Man, ain't that the truth!  I used to be a sideman in a group  that did the
same freebe year after year for  a society fundraiser. They treated us like
crap & wouldn't even  feed us sandwiches (the wait staff and stage crew were fed
the same baron of  beef as the guests). I kept asking our leader when we were
going to get one of  their real gigs from them; he couldn't answer me. I had
nothing to lose, so I  approached the boss of the committee regarding a booking
us at their annual  black tie gala, he said they only hire PROFESSIONAL
groups for that event! go  figure Last I heard, the same group was still doing that
freebe.

Tom Loeb
California