[Dixielandjazz] Shaking hands with Eubie

Jack Tracy JackTracy26 at msn.com
Wed Feb 7 20:33:40 PST 2007

  Butch Thompson wrote:
  > Remembering Eubie on his birthday, Ron L'Herault wrote:>
  >
  >> I recall shaking his hand.  His fingers seemed to go on forever.
  >>
  > Wasn't it George Shearing who said shaking hands with Fats Waller was like
  > grabbing a handful of bananas?
  >
  > Butch Thompson

  Don Ingle wrote>

  > I wonder about that. Since Fats died in '43 and Shearing didn't get over until after the war, how was that handshake made? The whole world wants to know -- well maybe just me, ever the skeptic.

  On second thought, a look at some Fats film clips makes me wonder if the
  remark was right after all.

  Don Ingle

  Maybe it was Fats Domino...........or Fats Navarro........or maybe Fats Waller played in England before the war and George met him then.......
  or maybe, George being blind and all, someone put a bunch of bananas in front of Shearing and said, "Meet Fats Waller."

  Life is just full of imponderables these days.

  Jack Tracy