[Dixielandjazz] Frankie Laine - A personal link

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Wed Feb 7 13:54:24 PST 2007

At the news of Laine's passing an instant family link came to mind. In
1929, my dad, Red lngle, left the Goldkette bands to move to Chicago.
Once there he got a lot of work trhough a couple of top bookers because
of his reputation(already at age 23) as a good entertainer as well as
musician. They put him in as leader of the band at the Merry Gardens
Ballroom. By then the depression was setting in and so did some
promotionals to get people to come and spend a few bucks, and one of
these was Marathon Dancing.
One night a young man who was competition in the Marathon came up and
asked if he could sing with the band on the five minute breaks they got
each hour. Dad said sure. So the young man came up on the stand once and
hour and belted out a song then went bakc to the dancing. For weeks
after, the guy would show up on the Marathon night, and sing on the five
minute breaks.
That young man with the desire to sing at every chance to was Frankie Laine.
Dad once remarked was that as good a singer as Laine was, he was an even
better dancer
They mey numerous tmes in LA in the year after and talked about the good
old/bad old days.

Incidently, his long time pianist Carl Fischer was a full blooded
Cherokee Indian, and one hell of a  fine player.

It is like some Five Degrees of Separation from Kevin Bacon game, these
links.

Don (I got to remember more before my little grey cells turn brown and
all I can do is drool) Ingle