[Dixielandjazz] Eubie Blake's Birthday

J. D. Bryce brycejo at comcast.net
Wed Feb 7 08:37:58 PST 2007

Eubie sat in  with the Buffalo Disaster Jazz Band around 1973. He had just
given a symposium at Drew University and one of the sponsors brought him to
the Lord Nelson Pub in Parsippany, NJ to see us.

He played at the piano bar that served as a bandstand. His fingers were
incredibly long.  When he finished, I told him I heard some Gershwin-type
figures in what he played and I asked him whether he got the figures from
Gershwin or vice versa.  He said, "We were all playing that kinda stuff back
then, so I don't know who got it from who.  I doesn't matter.  We all got
it."

He was a nice man.

Jack Bryce