[Dixielandjazz] The Beat of a Different Drummer

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Feb 7 00:34:25 PST 2007

Hi Steve:  Sorry to disappoint you but the answer is YES!

Makes about as much sense as going from being the greatest heart
Surgeon in his field to being a veterinarian to doing heart surgery on
expiring fish :))

Yes I am tongue in cheek with my comment but dead serious about the
reality of it.   This is the epitomy of the reversal of the starving
artist copping out on his fellow starving jazz artists and going out
and getting a commercial hit record and or band to make real money.

Just shows you how very very silly and stupid many of us as artists can
actually be and why we are often in the dismal situation professionally
that we self inflict upon ourselves no matter how noble the cause may
seem to be under the influence of whatever it is we may or may not be
smoking or drinking at the time.  :))   That is if you actually do
imbibe in such things to influence your financial support and status in
life.   Too each his own, different strokes for different folks.

And hey how many OKOM players do you know who make  even $45,000 a
year?  but hey they are happy and fulfilled so they say, well some of
them anyway, but they don't usually post on this list .   I would
venture to say that most OKOM players on this list that make that much
money have a day gig earning at least half of that figure or better.

Now all you hot shot All stars jump in here and prove me wrong
PULLLEEEZE  :))

Ya see guys that's pretty hard to achieve with a one night a week or
month gig on an off night for twenty years in the same joint that holds
50 or 60 people on a jam packed night with no cover charge, or a
Preservation Society once a month gig on a Sunday afternoon.  who ya'll
kidding except your selves.

I know I know it's all about ART FOR ART'S SAKE,  well wake up guys Art
is a very Cheap SOB.  And he really dose not give a squat about YOUR
ART either or he would PAY for it.   NOw if you want to be known as an
ARTISTE' hurry up and Die so you can be discovered and valued as ART.
Art is for Dead folks  Music is for the Living who still want to live
and party and swing.

Cheers,

Tom, Now where is that velvet art collectors edition painting of Elvis
??  It should be worth a fortune by now huh ?