[Dixielandjazz] re-forming a band

Ron L lherault at bu.edu
Tue Feb 6 12:19:45 PST 2007

Listmates,

The leader of the band I have been in for 23 years has moved away and given
me the band.  Unfortunately, I'm the only one left in it.  The clarinet
player, a snowbird, retired, the drummer's wife retired him.  The piano
player is a snowbird and I'd like to get someone with a different style.  So
now I have to find replacements for these players and I don't want people
who flee New England for Florida during the winter.

1.  I'd like opinions about the best way to find new people (I do have some
things in mind)

2.  Are there members of this list in the Providence, RI area (roughly- the
band was based there before so most contacts are in that area) who would
like to play in a Dixieland band?  I need cornet, piano, clarinet and drums,
maybe banjo- we'd been doing without due to money issues.

We usually play a few parades on a flat bed truck (no marching), and arts in
the park type gigs.  I have at least one gig verbally lined up for the end
of July and parades are fairly certain for Memorial Day and 4th of July.

Ron L