[Dixielandjazz] How Far Out Shoud Backup Go?

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Tue Feb 6 09:38:21 PST 2007

Larry Walton said (in part):

"...I personally prefer playing off of the melody and I always try to bring the listener back to it if I have moved very far a field.."

This is an interesting thread. As a banjo player and leader of my own OKOM quartet (clarinet, banjo, washboard, tuba), I have to support the clarinet and the bass line. I know my clarinetist (who takes a lead chorus and one or more improv choruses) and my bass player (usually tuba) are listening to the chords, and if I stray too far, we all get lost, and it's my fault. So, I try and stay as accurate as possible, using an occasional "chord melody line" to bring out the melody and help both the band the listener understand where we are in the song.

Some songs need more melody support in the background than others (in our quartet setting). When I play with larger groups, I find the "chord melody" support line can be less intense, but the chord structure still has to be strong to keep everyone on the "same page". I don't play with piano players much, but I would imagine that it would be easier with good chord support by the piano.

It's a challenge. I have had off days when my mind wanders and find myself continuing a chord pattern turnaround into a completely song or even a different key! Occasionally, it's because I'm watching a sweet young thing strut by showing off her credentials. But more often, it's because I'm thinking of the next song, or what ending we're going to use on this song, or some other administrative task involved with leading a band.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
www.banjomusic.biz