[Dixielandjazz] (no subject)

Marty Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 5 18:57:08 PST 2007

<quote>Message: 11
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:32:52 -0500
From: Jerry Gordon <jerrygordon at juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] A followup reply
To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 07:46:19 -0800 billsharp <sharp-b at clearwire.net>
writes (on behalf of someone else):

<snip>
>I?m a newbie to
> > this list, but I have found it largely disappointing for its (by
> and
> > large) pedantic focus on who was playing 2nd cornet during the air
> > check in 1933 when it?s known that so-and-so took a bathroom
> break.

<snip>
> >At least it misses any point that I am
> > interested in -- as a ?young? (mid-50s) player/bandleader -- which
> is
> > the state of OKOM delivery and appreciation today. And that can be
> > fairly broad subject encompassing players/bands/performance, new
> and
> > old adaptations of the music, and the biz.

<snip>
> Which is
> why I
> > will not become a regular contributor to this list.

Listmates:

As a rare (and rarely serious) contributor, but a very long-time
member,
of this list, here's what I think:

1. There is indeed an awful lot pf pedantry, not only of the sort
listed
above, but also of the "best lubricant for a trombone slide" variety. I
find it fascinating that there are people who know about such things,
and
it's obviously of interest to many on the list, so it should certainly
stay. But I do exercise my delete key a lot.

2. I think there is also considerable discussion about "...the state of
OKOM delivery and appreciation today." Barbone & Wiggins are frequent
contributors in this area, but there are many others as well. Maybe
that's all that Mr Anonymous is interested, but that's not all this
list
is about. There's a lot of good stuff on this topic, and Mr. A will
have
to learn to use his delete key to separate HKOT from OKOT, but
apparently
he's already mastered that. (HKOT = His Kind of Topic; OKOT = Others'
Kinds of Topics)

3. Finally, Mr. A's dissatisfaction with the list is exactly the reason
why he SHOULD become a regular contributor. If you want to see
something
discussed, then by golly, start the discussion! If you've got something
to say, then say it, for the benefit of all of us. If there's something
you want to learn, then ask a question. Believe me, there are others on
the list who want the same answers, whatever the question.

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Webmaster for
http://APlaceForJazz.org</quote>

  C'mon. I have been absent for several months, and when I return I open
  my first new digest and see a topic I am interested in "Jack Teagarden's Lover."
  But when I take the time to open the digest , the topic has nothing whatever todo with
  Jack Teagarden OR "Lover." This has to be because someone didn't change the "subject" when the thread changed its interest.
  Please don't do this. I returned so that I could learn some info that I need. i don't want to wade thru stuff I don't need.
  Thanks,
  Ugly old Man,
  Marty Nichols
  TRombone