[Dixielandjazz] A followup reply

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Mon Feb 5 07:46:19 PST 2007

Here's what one fellow sent directly to me following my
posting--reading it is only for the hardy, perhaps swallowed most
easily with a big shot of gin in front of yourself --   He didn't send
it directly to DJML just because he's "that kind of guy" - - --Quote as
follows:

> Bill, I did a double-take when I read your comment about not looking
> at the living bands interpreting or pitching OKOM. I’m a newbie to
> this list, but I have found it largely disappointing for its (by and
> large) pedantic focus on who was playing 2nd cornet during the air
> check in 1933 when it’s known that so-and-so took a bathroom break.
>  Making that example up, but it’s consistent with the drone of
> bickering/yammering that pervades most of this discussion, and I think
> it misses the point.  At least it misses any point that I am
> interested in -- as a “young” (mid-50s) player/bandleader -- which is
> the state of OKOM delivery and appreciation today. And that can be a
> fairly broad subject encompassing players/bands/performance, new and
> old adaptations of the music, and the biz.  Don’t get me wrong, DJML
> trivial pursuit has its place — I am an amateur music historian myself
> -- but it seems to be the dominant focus of a lot of list members, who
> themselves have pretty “dominant” personalities and opinions. (It’s
> the same dozen guys talking to themselves.) That dry stuff can only go
> so far for the rest of us unless you happen to be totally living with
> your memories. I prefer to think that the OKOM glass is half full
> today and microscoping its past leaves me pretty bored. Which is why I
> will not become a regular contributor to this list.  (And what happens
> next when those same dozen guys join the big jam session in the sky?)

[End of quote  . . .Returning to my stuff]   . .. Did Keeely Smith
sweat, or perspire?