[Dixielandjazz] How Do You Respond -- Condon called it Music.

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Feb 4 20:27:05 PST 2007

 > Russ Guarino asked what we call it when people ask; What kind of music do
> you play.
>
> I answer "Jazz, America's Music". Then, if further questions arise, go
> from
> there to "Dixieland, New Orleans Jazz and Swing", because that is what we
> play more narrowly defined.
(snip)

Russ, the Eddie Condon book is a very interesting read and the info quoted
below by Steve Barbone is all well & good.  But, when talking to a client,
you have to use words that the client understands.

Today's average music buyer knows nothing of Paul Whiteman and Irving
Berlin.  That is why, when I find they want a Dixieland type band, I always
slip Louis Armstrong's name in there somewhere.

--Bob Ringwald