[Dixielandjazz] How Do You Respond

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Feb 4 20:12:22 PST 2007

Since I play many different types & styles of music, it depends on what the
client is asking for.  I try to feel him/her out first and then adapt what I
say accordingly.

Unfortunately most people are very ignorant about music & especially Jazz.

If they seem to want Dixieland, I always drop Louis Armstrong's name as
everyone recognizes it.

I work anything from solo piano or banjo, duo, trio, quartet, quintet,
6-piece, 7-piece, etc.

I play Dixieland, Swing, Ragtime, piano bar, sing alongs, cocktail music,
Comedy, etc.

I have 11 gigs scheduled for Feb right now.  singles, trio, quartets &
7-pieces.

The main thing is to pay attention to what the client wants, or thinks he
wants.  Then, convince him that you can deliver.  However, do not promise
anything you cannot deliver.  That is just asking for trouble.

I turn down plenty of gigs when they want contemporary or Rock or Classical.
However, whenever possible, I try to help them get the music they want.
That is customer relations.  You never know when they will remember how
helpful you were & call     you for your brand of music.

Right now I am looking for a bag pipe player for a client.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

 In the 60's, people took LSD to make the world weird. Now the world is
weird
and people take Prozac to make it normal.