[Dixielandjazz] Thanks

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sun Feb 4 09:46:31 PST 2007

SINISTER JAZZ!

The Ward Kimball obituary in August's TaiIgate Ramblings made me think of another Kimball--Narvin Henry Kimball He was born on March 2, 1909 in New Orleans, and died on March 17, 2006 in Charleston, South Carolina. In his 97 years, he played string bass, guitar, and banjo in bands ranging from those on the Mississippi riverboats, directed by Fate Marable, to the original Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Apart from his artistry, one feature made him stand out in any band--he played left-handed.

Some jazz players, like Narvin Kimball, were able to do what came naturally with the "other hand." Corky Cornelius played left-handed in Gene Krupa's band, and dancers couldn't understand the odd look of the trumpet section. Slide Hampton is a left-handed trombonist. Most left-handed reeds players don't change hands-but Benny Goodman is said to have had a left-handed clarinet made for him. Drummers shift their sets from right to left as they wish, but a note I made in a Manassas Jazz Festival program says that I saw Cliff Leeman playing drums right-handed, and signing autographs with his left hand. That could well be true because any good drummer must be ambidextrous in hand and foot. Pianists and piano accordionists have no left or right option, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone hasn't built a freak left-handed piano. Nick La Rocca, the cornetist who led the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, is the most famous left-hander. Coincidentally, Sharkey Bonano, who later fronted the ODJB, was also left-handed.

Stringed instruments can usually be played as is, but Johnny Long's violin was rebuilt to fit his chin after he injured two fingers of his left hand in a farm accident. Wingy Manone got his name from a right arm, above-the-elbow amputation after being hit by a street car. (Joe Venuti, the clown prince of jazz, sent Wingy one cufflink for Christmas!). "Saints" leader "Preacher Rollo", (Rollo Laylan), learned to play left-handed because he had polio in his right arm which "some said was no more than a paddle." Pianist Sweet Emma Barrett, the "Bell Gal", played with her right hand after suffering a stroke that paralyzed her left side. Oscar Peterson had a right sided-stroke, but is still playing piano with a limited use of his right hand. Unlike classical music, I doubt whether any composer has written a one-handed solo for jazz piano.

The "wrong-handed" picture of Buddy Bolden's six-piece band is unique. The original photograph no longer exists, but if it was printed "the right way round It leaves the clarinettists and trombonist fingering their instruments the opposite way round to the usual. If, however, it is reversed, the guitarist and bass player are made to appear left-handed. Bolden, to be totally unhelpful, holds his cornet flat in the palm of his hand" (Clayton and Gammond. The Guinness Jazz Companion).

Despite his nickname, Joe Sanders, the "Old Lefthander" of the Conn-Sanders Nighthawks, derived his name from being a minor league baseball pitcher, not from music. Joe's wife used to sign the sheet music of his compositions ""From the Old Lefthander's Right hand, Trudy."

I wish to thank Dixieland Jazz Mailing List members for comments. "Google" its website for OKOM-Our Kind Of Music!

Reproduced with permission from the December, 2006, "Tailgate Ramblings", the monthly publication of the Potomac River Jazz Club. Regards.

Fred