[Dixielandjazz] Bix's Solo

rorel at aol.com rorel at aol.com
Sun Feb 4 05:04:24 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
 From: mjl at ix.netcom.com
 To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
 Sent: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 8:34 PM
 Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Bix's Solo

  >>>Jesus, someone has much too much time on their hands...<<<

Hay-soos!  I was thinking the same thing before I got half-way through!

If we're talking "jazz", can such analysis (note the first four letters) be
at all relevant???,

END QUOTE

 Relevance is relative. My dad has a saying: For people who like that sort of thing, it is just the sort of thing those people will like.

 A good analysis of a jazz solo can tell you something about the intuitive thinking of its creator. Is that relative? For me it is. For others, all they require is that it sound good. The wonderful thing about our selected muse is that it can be appreciated on many different levels. Aldous Huxley said " After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." As long as the music says that something to the listener, who cares how they come to it? Appreciate it on whatever level you can, but if you come away from it feeling different than you did before, well, it has done its work. It is the same with 'Krazy Kat' or 'Yardbird Suite' or 'Toccata and Fugue in D minor' or 'Black Angels' or 'Purple Rain'.

 In real estate it is "location, location, location." In music, "communication, communication, communication."

 Respectfully submitted,

 Ray Osnato
 Leader of the Central Pacific jazz band, "Ray Osnato and the Bikini Lions"