[Dixielandjazz] Keeley Smith deadpan approach

Jack Tracy JackTracy26 at msn.com
Sat Feb 3 15:26:51 PST 2007

Steve Holzer wrote:
    This is sound comic planning. Steve Martin used the same ploy to become
    a comedic star in the rock era. He was getting nowhere doing stand-up in
    typical hippie garb. Then he switched to a white suit and the rest is
    history. Order in the middle of chaos is a classic set-up. I wonder, was
    there anybody in the Spike jones outfit who worked this angle?

    Yes. I once saw a stage show of Spike's where, seated at the top riser onstage, was a grandmotherly, beautifully dressed lady at a harp. Throughout the entire  bedlam of the hour-or-so show she sat silently, not moving an  inch.

    It was not until the last song of the entire ebening  that, at a break in the music, the spotlight shifted to her and she reached out and very delicately plucked one note.

    The theater exploded in laughter.

    Jack Tracy