[Dixielandjazz] I love this definition

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat Feb 3 00:44:25 PST 2007

On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:18 PM, David Dustin wrote:

> Don Mopsick wrote:
> [snip] Your definition applies to clubs that feature so-called "avant"
> or post-bop
> where the band is too hip for the room, and even the most sophisticated
> listener has no clue as to what he/she is really hearing. And they do
> pay a
> lot of money to be seen attending this so-called "hipness."...
> Don, you said it all.  Stomp on!!
>    David Dustin

Don, David, and all--

I hope that no one believes that all avant garde players are
self-indulgent frauds and all their audiences are uncomprehending
phonies. Hearing free jazz unfold is riskier than jazz based on song
structure, but it can be interesting to see if the players' intuitions
are moving according to SOME kind of development. If I don't "get it,"
I'm not sure if it's my inability to pick up the connections, or their
aimless noodling. Perplexing, but that's the name of the game, take it
or leave it, and I suspect that more than a few in the audience are
actually tuning in rather than just thinking how groovy is it is, man,
to be at this great little esoteric jazz joint.

I've both listened to and played in free form settings and been
fascinated, confused, and bored at different times. Again, that's more
of a given from the get-go than in a "safer" listening environment
where you've got all the benchmarks of song structure to rely on.

Charlie Suhor