[Dixielandjazz] FW: Billie Holiday, Strange Fruit

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 11:20:55 PST 2007

Hi Jim and all,

I always thought flamenco was basically a macho statement (sort of related
to the corridas) but I wouldn't have thought that 'grief' would be an
important aspect of the dance/music.

How/why is this part of flamenco and how is it expressed?

Doe flamenco ever do anything with a humorous or ironic twist? And if not,
why not?

Now Jim, I know that you are an American (and an Armenian) so you may not be
the one to ask regarding these questions . . . but you may know somebody who
was born into the culture.

Cheers,

Bill "Olé" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com