[Dixielandjazz] MAKE YOUR CHILDREN ENJOY JAZZ -

Bob Loomis miltloomis at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 08:16:45 PST 2007

   Somebody wrote that pro football players
outearn musicians. That's true, for the most
part, but it would be interesting to know what
percentage of aspiring pro football players ever
actually earn any money as pros versus the
percentage of aspiring pro musicians who ever
actually earn money at it. My guess would be that
more musicians earn money than football players.
   Another point: A music career can last a LOT
longer than football. And as a general rule, a
musician will suffer a lot less physical damage
(aside from any substance-related issues) than a
pro football player.
   The SF Chron recently did a feature in which
30 members of the Forty-Niners Super Bowl champs
of 1981 were interviewed. Something like twenty
of them have physical problems that severely
restrict what their bodies can do. Joe Montana,
the great quarterback, cannot turn his head to
look at someone to the side. He can barely play a
close-up game of football catch with his two
sons.
   Nonetheless, like pro musicians I imagine, all
but one said they would do it all over again i
they could. Only Keena Turner, the All-Pro
linebacker, said he had encouraged his son to
drop football and pursue baseball in the
interests of long-term health.

Bob Loomis
Concord CA