[Dixielandjazz] Strange Instruments

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Feb 1 18:08:53 PST 2007

Hey folks:

I was just looking thru a Finnish Jazz  Newspaper  called  Jazzrytmit
from May 2006  issue:

It has photof a guy named Kesan Kummallisin   playing TromboneaTuba

It appears to be a slide Trombone with a normal Bell, but somehow has a
Sousaphone piped into it as well.

He calls it Sousafonipasuuna   it appears.

I can scan and send the photo off list to anybody who is interested.

Now I know about the double belled EUPHONIUM ,but this is at leasat as
stragne as a Saurosaphone and maybe even stranger and rarer.

This folks is a first class Jazz Newspaper,  the only thing that would
make it better would be if it were in English so us folks could read
it.   This publication alone will show you how far advanced the
European Jazz World is past the USA and how passionately they support
Jazz of all genres.   It is a very serious business with them folks,
and not a hobby like it has degenerated to in the USA.

And I did not see ONE single Red Vest or Straw Boater  ( whoops sorry
about that there is one of Aker Bilk in a Red Vest ) in the hundreds of
band and musician color photos either.  It also clearly shows the Great
Youth movement that some of us are always ragging about on this list,
and hundreds and thousands of young folks in the audiences having a
great time with this music.

WAKE UP AMERICA,  you are KILLING your cultural Contribution one
preservation at a time.   Don't preserve it EXPLOIT it and it will
preserve itself.

check them out at http://www.jazzrytmit.com

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins