[Dixielandjazz] A "natural" embouchure?

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 31 11:27:15 PST 2007

In 1981 I was starting beginners at one of my elementary schools in Stockton, California...a 5th grade black boy was starting trumpet lessons...the ONLY note he could play? High C! Try as I could, using all of the tricks I had learned after about 20 years of teaching, plus being a trumpet player for 30 plus years, he could only play high C! For weeks, it was the same story...just high C!! I finally called the principal in to observe it, and HE couldn't believe it! So It was, take a breath, put the MP on the lips(Which were quite large, BTW!), and "try playing softly"...HIGH C, try player softer yet! HIGH C! Buzz like this...soft, low buzz from me...couldn't buzz low!
I NEVER got him to play ANY other note! He finally dropped out!
Have any of you ever gone through this sort-of experience?
Message: 4