[Dixielandjazz] Informing, or Bragging?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sat Dec 29 16:04:48 PST 2007

Steve Barbone wrote in reply to Chris Tyle's excellent post?

(snip)
If truth is somehow a negative, we might consider that freedom of speech is
freedom of speech and we should be intelligent enough to deal with it.
(snip)

Steve, A person can have freedom IE freedom of speech until that freedom
impinges on someone else's freedom.

(snip)

the past there was a lot of positive comment on the DJML about how to get
kids, schools, jazz oblivious people of all ages, etc., (meaning more
audience) involved. Many examples given. Unfortunately some of the folks who
resist that kind of information called it bragging and so those who were
pointing out what could be done, by example, quit doing it.
(snip)

Without naming names, the people who were pointing this out were pointing it
out over and over and over, infinitum  It had become very annoying to a
great many DJML members.

IMO, the ideas put forth were very good.  But they were very good the first
fifty times they were posted.  After that, they became repetitive and
annoying.

Contrary to your above statement, No one was resisting the ideas or were
complaining because the ideas were not good.  They complained because
they were posted over and over for years.

Think about being in a conversation and having one person monopolizing the
conversation, not only doing most of the talking, but also repeating himself
over and over and over?  How long before this becomes very annoying and
boring to the rest of the group, and the group starts disappearing?  Pretty
soon the person is left talking to himself.

(Snip)
 The biggest negative that I see is when someone tries to be a list
policemen
because he/she doesn't agree. And then tries to inhibit messages under the
guise of speaking for "many". Speak out, that's what a chat list is for. And
speak for yourself because there are 500 + people, (most of whom we do not
know) on this one.
(snip)

Well, since I am the list moderator, I suppose that comment is directed at
me?  I am in a sense the List Policeman.  However, I never sensor anyone on
the grounds that he/she has a different opinion than I do.  When I feel that
a thread has gotten out of hand, either has turned nasty, or has become
off-topic, then I ask that it stop.

In how long has it been, maybe 13 years, only two people have been
intentionally unsubscribed from DJML.  One was posting under a fake name and
address and saying things that could potentially hurt people's career and
the other was extremely abusive with fowl language.

I have made many comments and suggestions on Netiquette privately to
members.  But I have never given any one person an order of what to post or
not to post when it comes to subjects relating to Jazz.  And, I try to never
embarrass anyone publicly.

Note: We are now up to 563 members.  We have been close to 600 several
times.  But every time we get close, an argument starts here on
DJML and we lose 50 to 75 members.  Let's not have this happen again.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
DJML Moderator
530/642-9551
916/806-9551 Cell
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
See our new CD, www.ringwald.com/recordings.htm

"I can resist everything except temptation."  --Oscar Wilde, 1854 - 1900