[Dixielandjazz] GRP Big Band CD

Tim Eldred julepjerk at surewest.net
Sat Dec 29 15:13:02 PST 2007

I love this CD - the musicianship is amazing, as are the arrangements.  The audience reaction is great, and I can only imagine the joy of hearing that version of Cherokee done live - each successive solo seems to take off and build from the last.  (I imagine it as being similar to the "cutting contests" that used to be held.)  That joy of creation is what will keep people listening and coming back for more, whether it is the GRP Big Band or a trad group.  The life in the music is what the audience reacts to and wants...even re-creations must have that life to be effective.

TIm Eldred
Roseville, CA