[Dixielandjazz] A new thread....old recordings

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Dec 28 22:54:27 PST 2007

Absolutely right Mark.  When I was young I listened to many hours of music
on equipment that would be a joke today.  I remember how proud my brother
was when he got his first Hi Fi about 1957 or 58.  It had a 12" woofer. How
cool that was.  It could actually play 12" LP's.  Any ipod can blow that
sound away today.  We didn't have anything to compare it to so it sounded
great to us.  Man I had actual 5 x 9 rear speakers in my car in 1960.  I
thought it was incredible but my car stereo today makes it look like a
crystal set.  Digital reproduction is sometimes too good like when you can
hear the guitarists fingers sliding on the strings or the keys clicking but
I would rather err on the too good side.   The trouble today is that some
music is over enhanced and tinkered with.  Live doesn't sound as good.
Sometimes it's just too clean and slick.
Larry
St.L