[Dixielandjazz] Ray S and I Can't Believe" etc.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 26 13:41:26 PST 2007

robert at ringwald.com

 Steve Barbone wrote:

>>IMO, that is what he is improvising on. Snatches of the melody are there
>>and the chord structure is basically the same. I think if he re-titled it,
>>the owner of the copyright would have a legitimate reason to sue. (snip)

>I have to disagree with Steve on this one.  There are many, many songs that
>have the same chord structure.  Nowhere in Ray's improvising does he play
>anything resembling the lead of I Can't Believe That You're In Love With
>Me."

That's what makes horse racing.

Yes, there are many songs with the same chord structure. Like "Please Don't
Talk About Me When I'm Gone" and "Five Feet Two" and "Darkness on The
Delta". But, their melodies are very different.

In Ray's first chorus, I hear quite a bit of the original melody, with some
passing notes thrown in, as well as some melodic improvisation. Not the same
as those songs listed above, or as in "Bill Bailey", "Bourbon Street
Parade", "Washington & Lee Swing" and the chorus of Tiger Rag etc., etc.,
which all share the same chord structure but are readily identifiable as
being different melodies.

But then, what about Hawkins' "Body & Soul"? After the first 2 bars, which
alone would indicate to a listener with good ears that the tune is going to
be Body & Soul, there is virtually nothing, compared to what Ray S plays, to
indicate that the tune is indeed "Body and Soul". Hawk's improv seems to me
to be vertical (on the changes) rather then melodic.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone