[Dixielandjazz] A new thread....old recordings

GWW174 at aol.com GWW174 at aol.com
Tue Dec 25 15:00:17 PST 2007

...for all the techno and music-nerds out there....

Even though I am an audio engineer and have some theories but no definative
answer to the question....

"Even with the best restoration techniques why can most people tell when they
are listening to an 'old recording' or music originally recorded 'way back
when'..... are there subtle musical clues?  Are there technical audio clues.
For example,  I just listened to a good restoration of some earlier Edison
Cylinders.  There was OK low-end (not great by today's standards for sure)...
fairly flat frequency response... a minimum of pops, clicks, and surface noise.
Yet it was obvious that I was listening to an old recording.  What was my
brain responding to that led me to that conclusion?

Gordon of Northridge