[Dixielandjazz] Oscar Peterson interview on Individuality

Mike C. mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Tue Dec 25 10:47:40 PST 2007

Chris Tyle wrote:
> "The funny thing about it: I don't have any inhibition about
> saying I learned such-and-such-a-person's solo. I can play you Nat's
> solo on
> "Easy Listening Blues," I can play you Lester's "Sometimes I'm Happy,"
> I can
> play you numerous solos. I can sit there and sing them for you cause I
> absorbed them in my growing up process. I'm not ashamed of that."

@#I think that shows incredible musicial maturity and humbleness on his
part. A lot of people play someone else's solo on such and such a tune
but you don't always hear people admit to that. I really like that.
Charlie Parker was said to have known note for note Lester Young's 1936
solo on Lady Be Good. I don 't know if Parker ever admitted to this in
an interview or whatever but it truly shows that jazz is a giant
mentoring program. We learn from others whether we admit to it or not.