[Dixielandjazz] Thoughts on Oscar Peterson

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Tue Dec 25 02:22:16 PST 2007

Hi Listmates,

I, too, am saddened at the loss of Oscar Peterson.  Reading his obit in the New York Times, I shook my head in wonder at those critics who belittled his creativity by referring to his playing in terms of it being non-adventurous.

The great thing about Peterson was that, in spite of his lightning-like, rapid-fire technique, he never allowed that to get in the way of his ability  to swing.  Swing he did, and it lifted the savvy listener to great emotional and happy levels.

There are many pianists that are among those who probe the unknown in jazz, and attempt to achieve "new" sounds and styles, aren't there?  But try tapping your foot to their output and it just doesn't work.  The essence of great jazz is its ability to lift and fulfill the needs of the listener.  Peterson did just that with his remarkable use of technique and his unending flow of creative ideas and expressions.  He was a master of thematic and stylistic interpolation, and all of this midst impossibly wonderful foot-stomping swing..

More we couldn't have asked for, and I, for one, am so thankful that we had him here to hear and marvel.

Regards.
Harold