[Dixielandjazz] Vacation mode - 62nd Australian Jazz Convention

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 24 21:04:44 PST 2007

Dear friends,
We will be attending the 62nd Australian Jazz Convention from 26th
December 2007 to 1st January 2008 so will be in DJML 'vacation' mode
for the week. No emails please as, unfortunately, my ISP [BigPond] only
stores 100 MB of messages (enough for about two days for me) then
returns them to sender.
I will set this up in the morning, Boxing Day, if I can negotiate the
instructions. If not, perhaps Dave Haupt or Bob Ringwald will kindly do
it for me.
What is the Australian jazz Convention some of you may ask?
Apart from being the oldest 'jazz festival' in the world, by a long
way, it is also unique and is what it says it is.
A Convention. An official get-together for Australian jazz musicians.
Musicians and delegates register for the 6-day event, which runs from
26th December 2007 to New Year's Eve.
The First AJC was held for 4 days from 26th December 1946 at the Eureka
Hall, North Melbourne, Victoria.
The initial idea that established the AJC is lost, as memories differ
but it involved jazz musicians and devotees from Melbourne, Adelaide,
Hobart, Sydney and Brisbane who (by letter and chance meetings in war
zones, military camps and the like) agreed to meet in Melbourne, at the
end of the World War 2 to discuss and play jazz music.
It was a resounding success and all there voted to hold it annually.
And it has been - every year from 1946, without interruption.
The first four Conventions were held in Melbourne, then moved to other
Australian capital cities and, eventually, country towns in all six
Australian states.
The Conventions have always been 'traditional jazz' oriented, but as
our music evolved over the last 60 years so did the music to be heard
at Conventions. Initially 'mainstream' was unacceptable. Not anymore.
But as for 'bop'. Nooooo way!!!!!
As it turned out, the 'modernists' left us to look after ourselves.
'Modern' jazz in Australia is regularly funded by government grants and
sponsored or commercially organised jazz festivals while the Convention
(like the traditional jazz clubs here) became self-sufficient. However,
the AJC was the basis for many of today's Australian jazz festivals.
For the AJC, no musicians or bands are paid. Many years ago, as
president of an early Convention, I was able to negotiate an exemption
from the Musicians' Union for this and for members and non-members to
play together for the annual event. Now it doesn't much matter. The
Musicians Union in Australia is, sadly, a toothless tiger.  (But at
least I have my union life membership after 40-year' s plus service.)
The format of the Convention is simple. Bands register during the year
and are allocated spots on the official printed program, prepared in
the month before the event. There is no culling. All registered groups
get a spot.
Jazz musicians pay a nominal fee of $5-10 to register. Delegates
(enthusiasts, wives, girlfriends and other friends of the musicians)
pay a registration fee of about $80-90.
Registration covers entry to all functions and sessions for the week
including the welcome night, the picnic and the New Year's Eve party.
At the discretion of each annual voluntary committee public day tickets
are available for the programmed concerts. But not for the closed
Convention musicians/delegate-only functions.
Generally an hour is allowed for each band/artist performance, of which
there may be 2-3 depending on the number of bands registered. There are
also 'blackboard' venues for pickup bands formed during the Convention.
And. in country towns, the pubs.
Over the years some committees, have raised extra funds through
pre-Convention concerts to pay for invited overseas artists and bands
to play and mix at the Convention. These imports have included Rex
Stewart, Ken Colyer, Alton Purnell, Clark Terry, Bud Freeman, Dick
Cary, Kenny Davern, Turk Murphy's Band, The World's Greatest Jazz Band,
Dill Jones, Danny Moss & Digby Fairweather, Sammy Price and Art Hodes,
Unfortunately, in recent years the Convention has suffered as jazz
musicians age, and attendances have dropped from an average of
2000-2500 down to 750-1000 registered attendees.
Conventions are generally planned 2 years ahead to give the local
committee time to make arrangements for accommodation, venues, local
government approvals, pre-publicity, etc.
As usual there will be a few Australian DJMLers attending this year.
No need for a special F2F, as that is what the Convention is all about.
There will also be overseas (Canada, UK, USA, NZ and Europe) regulars
who make the annual pilgrimage.
The Convention is a non-profit organisation and surplus income is
placed in a Trust Fund, set up to cover any losses (there have been
some) and to help fund things like youth jazz music workshops, jazz
publications, new jazz clubs and occasional recordings.
I was at the 3rd Convention in 1948, have held executive committee
positions over the years and am a long-time Trustee. This will be my
48th Australian Jazz Convention as I missed the first two plus twelve
others over years for family or (in the early days) financial reasons.
Kind regards,
Bill.

Here is the basic program for this year's Convention for those who may
be interested:

Wednesday 26th December 2007
9am – 9.30pm - Check-in/Late Registration
1pm – midnight - Programmed & Blackboard Blows
7.30pm – 9.30pm - Welcome Night Function

Thursday 27th December 2007
10am – 12 Midnight - Program

Friday 28th December 2007

8.30am – 10am - Steering Committee Meeting
10am – 12 Midnight - Program

Saturday 29th December 2007
10am – 11.30am - Street Parade & 'open air blow'
12noon – 3pm - Picnic
4pm– 12 Midnight - Program

Sunday 30th December 2007
10am – 12noon - Original Tunes Competition
1pm – 12 Midnight - Program

Monday 31st December 2007
8am – 10am - Jazz Breakfast
10am – 12noon - AGM