[Dixielandjazz] Where's The Beat?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 24 19:01:35 PST 2007

Bill Haesler wrote in part:

>Rhythm instruments in particular must hit each beat spot on, not laid
>back (as some of our local, misguided, New Orleans revivalists seem to
>advocate). The task is to maintain the set tempo, not wait for it to happen.
>[And, dare I say it, washboard players are the worst offenders.]
>I've also noticed this when playing with some of our Aussie brass and
>reed men. That awful dragging mini-second behind-the-beat feeling.
>I will be on 'vacation mode' later today so please don't savage me too
>mercilessly during my absence. I will be checking the Archives on our return on
>New Year's day.

Happy vacation Bill.

Not to savage, but to expand that IMO, the rhythm section must push the
beat. Not to rush it but to play right on the front edge of the beat so as
to keep the pulse of the song moving forward, no matter what the horns do.

Regarding the horns, they can do whatever they like on solos. Ahead of the
beat, behind the beat, on the beat, or a combination of all three, no matter
IMO, as long as the beat stays constantly out front. Guys like Louis
Armstrong or Thelonious Monk were masters of soloing all around the beat,
yet swinging like crazy where ever they are.

IMO, they varied their time against the beat in a very personal way that
defies copycats. (Armstrong vocals too) Therefore there are very few who try
and fewer still who succeed in coming close.

The rhythm section (IMO) is the most important part of the band. If they
cook, the horns have it easy.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone