[Dixielandjazz] Handel's "Messiah" and "When The Saints..."

Chris Tyle jazzchops at isp.com
Sat Dec 22 13:00:08 PST 2007

Steve Barbone wrote:

> An interesting point, to me at least, is made there. Why focus on exacting
> re creations of older tunes in order to be "authentic"? Why not play an
> "incorrect" version? Or why not play one's own updated version to "set its
> offering apart from the crowd."?
>
> There are at least 2 bands among the plethora of Dixieland Bands in the
> Philadelphia area that differentiate in this manner. The Barbone Street Jazz
> Band and Ed Wise's New Orleans Jazz Band.
>
> I can't speak for Ed, but we do it to better communicate to our target
> audiences. (young people) It works much better than when we started as a
> band 17 years ago that re-created the George Lewis sound. We now perform for
> new, growing audiences of young folks. That counteracts our other
> performances before declining audiences of old folks (they are dying off)
> and therefore increases our overall audience numbers annually.

Steve, why can't people just do what they want to do? It seems like
every week you write the same post telling us that the only way to keep
traditional jazz going is your way. There is nothing wrong with jazz
chestnuts, if that's what you want to play, nor recreations, if that's
what floats your boat. If there is an audience, no matter what age,
what's the difference?

I remember attending a performance of an "all-star" group a few years
ago. Everyone in the band sounded tired and bored, and looked the same.
Good players but I had the feeling they would rather have been watching
TV or playing golf than playing music. Better to see a group of
musicians enjoying what they are doing, even if it is a recreation, than
to witness an apathetic performance.

Regards,
Chris Tyle