[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 21 16:59:25 PST 2007

TBW504 at aol.com wrote:
> A recent post seemed to imply that Carter's book "Preservation Hall"
> skimps
> the pre-opening details and mention of Borenstein's Kitty Hall days.
> However,
> in  my copy chapter 3 "Mr Larry's Art Store" covers that period very
> clearly
> and the antecedents crop up elsewhere too. Nothing I've read conflicts
> with
> what  I learnt from many conversations with Bill Edmiston, and Evelyn
> Gorham  -
> Percy Humphrey's lady.

Dear Brian,
That was me.
No real conflict, just a lack of positive information and dates for the
earlier Borenstein era - the mid 1950s before Barbara Reid, Ken Mills
and Bill Edmiston.
As my notes and comments are unavailable, I can't be specific at the
moment.
The basis of the initial query to me last year was:
When did Preservation Hall open and when was it so named?
The enquirer lived in New Orleans with her parents and recalled her
father taking her to Preservation Hall (at 726 St Peter) in the mid 50s
when she was a young teenager. She mentioned some of the musicians she
heard at the time (but not Punch Miller and Kid Thomas, as I recall)
who didn't tie in with her mid 1950s date.
When I researched back to the 50s, I  came up with several Borenstein
art galleries.
The one at 732 St Peter, next door to 726 St Peter (which he leased)
and, I believe, one other.
All used by him for jazz, blues and gospel.
If Charlie DeVore's memory is correct (refer pages 119-120 of Mr
Carter's fine book) then some dates from other sources don't tie in.
My mate Geoff Bull, made his first visit to NO in the 60s, so only has
information which was told to him.
Another mate,Tony Standish, was there for a short time in the late 50s,
but not long enough to absorb all that was happening.
I was trying to establish a time-line for Borenstein's involvement
(pre-Preservation Hall) and the music, but couldn't.
The information will be out there, it's just that I was unable to find
it.
When the original enquirer could not accept the early 1960s dates, I
dropped the subject, but failed to file my preliminary research.
Silly me.
Kind regards,
Bill.