[Dixielandjazz] Paul Barbarin trivia

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Fri Dec 21 08:56:40 PST 2007

Don Ingle adds this bit abotu Barbarin

In the early 50's, I went to the old Jazz Ltd. first location at State
and Grand. It was a typical Chicago half basement step down hole in the
wall with bar, tables and a small band stand area.
On one visit on a college off weekend, I heard the band with Mel Grant
on piano, Miff Mole, Bill Reinhardt (owner-clar.), Paul Barbarin and
Marty Marsala. No bass at the time.
I heard drum rolls played the way they are supposed to be played but
seldom are. For a young turk soaking up nuances of jazz styles, it was a
rare treat to hear this gentleman play drums the way a New Orleans band
should have behind them.
About a decade later I was hired and began what proved to be an overall
five year stint on trumpet with the Jazz Ltd.House Band, then at the
second location on Grand near St. Clair. Bigger room, bigger bandstand,
and bigger band with Dave Raspbury - laer Jim Beebe -- on trom.,
Reinhardt, myself on trumpet, Mike McKendrick on guitar and banjo (and
what a sweet, gentle soul he was), (Later Manny Sayles on bano/guitar
after Mike passed away.) Quinn Wilson on tuba and string bass, and
Freddie Kohlmann on drums -- also a great New Orleans drummer (and my
fishng partner on days off.)
We had several piano men at that time, with Dave Phelps and Rozelle
Claxton staying the longest on my stay.
To have worked with two authentic drummers of the New Orlean style
remains one of the bright memories to this day.
Barbarin's press rolls were a delight to hear from 20 feet away.
Wanted to get up and march!
Don