[Dixielandjazz] O.T. Xtal set

philwilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 20 23:30:41 PST 2007

Yes, if you used a "cat's whisker" style assembly. Different contact points
on the galena crystal have different electronic characteristics and so tune
diffrent frequencies. If your crystal is used strictly as a rectifier, then
you need a tuning circuit, usually a parallel inductor/capacitor circuit.

What you probably are remembering are Gillette "Blue Blades," as opposed to
the brown "thin blades."  Blue or brown, they all rusted quickly. The edge
of a razor blade is so thin it acts as a semiconductor when in point contact
with a wire and can be used as a rectifier in a very low power circuit.

Crystal receivers and mechanical amplifiers all were common "homebrew"
projects when jazz was the pop music of the day.

PHIL WILKING

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.