[Dixielandjazz] New toy

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Tue Dec 18 15:02:26 PST 2007

>Fr Mike wrote................Something to keep in mind about these
>Crosley-type machines that play 78s is that they do NOT have both LP
>and 78
>styli -- they only have the LP stylus.  That means when you play 78s
>you are
>going to be playing too far into the groove and both getting too much
>noise
>and potentially damaging your 78s.

Brian Harvey responded:-

>My response for that it's worth.........in the UK these pieces of
>equipment
>are usually offered with alternate styli - one for LPs, EPs and the
>other
>for 78rpms. The same should surely apply in the USA.

For those in the UK there is a similar turntable available from
Maplin here :-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=98232&source=1&DOY=18m12

It's on special offer at the moment for £79.99 and you can get
a 78 stylus from another £14.99

I have no idea how good these units are, so I take no blame
or credit for the quality

Regards

Andy Ling