[Dixielandjazz] A new toy.......

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 17 02:29:48 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----

Was in Cosco today and saw a turntable made by ION which plays 33, 45, an
d78
records ( 7 or 10" round things made of vinly  with squiggly grooves on them
and a small hole in the middle) It connects to a computer's USB port...has
some software...... wow... for those of us with lots of those 'record
things''
who want them as MP3 files and/or CD's this is quite the deal... Priced
around
$120.00.

Gordon of Northridge
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Gordon,

These turntables are sold in the UK too. The unit itself has just 33 & 45
speeds, 78rpm discs are played at 45rpm and converted to the correct speed
via the "Audacity" (I believe) software. The units sold here are supplied
with only a fine tip stylus suitable for 33/45rpm vinyl records. The
relatively larger stylus needed for 78rpm records is not, from what I have
read on several forums, available (in the UK) for the type of cartridge
which is fitted.  To play a 'coarse' groove 78rpm discs with a fine tip
stylus is a definite no-no !! Apart from possible damage to the groove
walls, a 'small' stylus wallowing about in a 'large' groove is not likely to
produce a good transfer.

For 33/45rpm stereo records the unit is probably adequate, but I would hope
the Audacity software (of which I have no experience) can convert stereo to
mono for the transfer of mono vinyl records. It can be quite amazing how
good an old beat up mono LP can sound if played in mono and not, as is
frequently the case, treated as being a two channel stereo recording.
~~
John D