[Dixielandjazz] rehearsing

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Dec 16 15:42:39 PST 2007

I know there are many bands that can stretch a song out to 10 minutes
or more, and some, maybe a very few, can actually make this a
worthwhile experience. For the most part, however, I think that is
way too long for most OKOM songs. Dancers are collapsing on the
floor, conversations at the bar or tables get louder, the rhythm
section is either falling asleep or killing their lips/fingers, and
that damn 6+ chorus solo on the fish horn is just now getting into
Kenny G territory!

Most OKOM songs were recorded under 3 minutes (limits of the
technology, I know) but I doubt if a live version of a song would
have gone over 5 or 6 minutes. Sure, there are some exceptions - but
I bet they were very rare.

How many of you actually put a stopwatch on your songs? What is the
average song length?

Dave Richoux