[Dixielandjazz] Learning Music as a Profession

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 16 15:17:34 PST 2007

Mike <mike at railroadstjazzwest.com> wrote: (He is studying Music)

> Yeah, I get look down upon every so often when I mention what my
> major is. Their attitude usually changes when they realize what
> is really involved.
>
> The next question usually is "What are you going to do when you
> graduate?"
>
> My response is what I'm doing now.

Take heart Mike. Back in  the 50s, I was a sideman in a Dixieland band and
we played a lot of High Society Jazz gigs. I, along with the trumpet player
and drummer was in Law School. The bassist, Chuck Traeger, had just gotten
his Civil Engineering degree, trombonist had just completed his degree in
music and was teaching.

Our piano player was Gene Schroeder earlier that summer, who had been in
between gigs at Condon's.  The he went back anad Traeger recommended this
young piano player who lived in Greenwich village near him.

Invariably the Society matrons would gush over us and assume that because we
were all getting degrees etc., that we had lofty ambitions in the business
world. I remember the following between the new piano player and one blue
haired gal.

Blue Hair: "You play wonderfully. What are your future ambitions?"

Piano: "Just to play better jazz."

Blue Hair: "Oh, you must want to progress. Don't you want to be a band
leader like Paul Whiteman or Lester Lanin?"

Piano: "No I just want to improve my jazz skills and maybe write a song or
too for my playing enjoyment."

The gal really had a hard time with that.

The pianist? Well he moved to California the following year. Wrote a few
songs and has never looked  back. He is Dave Frishberg.

Hell of a jazz pianist too.

I wish you the same good fortune.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS: I am always amazed at the number of jazz musicians in NYC at that time
that were also getting degrees from various universities. Perhaps the
insecurity of realizing that chances of making a living in jazz were quite
slim? One example was pianist Dick Wellstood who had a law degree and
shifted between music and the practice of law. A great player who died much
too young.