[Dixielandjazz] Band Advertising 101

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Dec 14 18:55:46 PST 2007

If your band has practice sessions, go find a public place like a park with
a gazebo or other suitable staging point,

That's a great Idea Elizar - I'm going to run it by the band and see if it
floats I know a perfect place that I would bet I could use.  I hate to think
about playing anywhere for free though.  That's really against my religion.

Last night my female vocalist, who incidentally is a looker, was really
working the crowd and some old guy around 90 and in a wheelchair wanted a
kiss.  So she kissed him on the cheek.  Then he wanted to kiss her so she
let him kiss her on the cheek.  This went on for awhile.  As we were packing
up here he came again (pushed by his son) more kisses.  I would have held
out for a good grope myself.

Working the crowd is so important no matter where you are.  The people that
hire you notice such things.
____________________________________
"There has never been a terror attack on my watch."

LW -- Me neither
_____________________

Put out a hat if you want to....

LW. - Probably can't do that here
They are fairly
> typical jazz players who play for their own enjoyment more than their
> audience. I can't tell you how many evenings I watched customers file by
> and
> thank them for the great music on their way out the door, and they just
> say
> thank you and let them go. I'd have a business card in each of their
> hands.

LW --This is so universal it hurts.  I have worked with bands where what the
other guys in the band thought was the only important thing.  The audience
didn't count.

Larry
St.L