[Dixielandjazz] Dr Jazz on Israeli TV news

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Fri Dec 14 11:38:28 PST 2007

Shalom Jazz Fans,

Doctor Jazz made the Israeli TV news today, Friday, December 14. During
Hanukkah, I (on banjo) and one of my players, Alan Stomel (on trumpet), did
an hour-long show of music and balloons for a holiday day camp for special
needs children. The camp program was featured on Israel Broadcasting
Authority's English news on the day that we performed.

IBA correspondent Erin Viney and her camera crew interviewed the two mothers
who organized the camp program, and some of the participants. When she came
to me, she began quoting to me slogans from my website, and asking questions
about specific features of the site and about our band and musical work,
including, "How is it that IBA news has not done a story about you yet?!"
She had obviously studied the site with some interest. So in addition to the
current interview, we talked at length about setting up an opportunity for
her to film and interview the band after I return from the US next month.

The TV news program can be viewed on the internet at www.iba.org.il.
However, I don't know how long it remains there, possibly only a day or so
until their next English news program is broadcast. To find the program,
enter IBA's site, which will be in Hebrew, and look at the blue side-bar on
the right side of the screen. A few lines down, you will see, in English,
"English TV news". Click on that, and another window will open, and the
program should start automatically at the upper left corner. If it doesn't
start automatically, look for the IBA English TV news logo somewhere on the
page, and click on that. Our story begins at about 13:30 minutes into the
broadcast, and is a little over 2 minutes long.

The camp was held at an interesting site in Jerusalem that I didn't know
about -- a park on the edge of town that contains some Roman period ruins,
which has been turned into what they call a "living museum". Like
Williamsburg, VA, or Sturbridge Village, MA, the staff recreates many
features of daily life in Israel from 2000 years ago, including the making
of pottery, wine, oil, weaving, and so on.

The children responded well to both the music and the balloons. Some of them
took turns playing washboard with us. Some sang or danced or clapped along
with the music.

So check it out in the next day or so. I don't know when the next broadcast
is that will replace this one on the site. And by the way, you might like to
hear the rest of the program about what is going on here in Israel that
normally doesn't make the international news.

Blessings from Jerusalem,

Elazar/Larry Brandt
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Brass Ensemble