[Dixielandjazz] "Spike Jones: The Legend" - New DVD Collection

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 12 16:36:22 PST 2007

on 12/12/07 6:15 PM, Bill Haesler at bhaesler at bigpond.net.au wrote:

> Steve Barbone wrote:
>> This is a must read for Don Ingle, whose dad Red played with Spike
>> Jones and
>> other Spike Jones Fans. Love the description of the band as sounding
>> like
>> Salvatore Dali's idea of Dixieland........ Don, would Red
>> be on these clips?
>
> Dear Steve,
> No answer, so it looks like our mate Don could be frightening trout or
> waking up sleepy grizzly bears in the backwoods.
> Don's dad left Spike Jones in October 1946, so was well gone when the
> ColgateTV shows on the DVD set commenced on 11 Feb 1951.
> A pity.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

Didn't mean to duplicate your original post of the article. I get the digest
form and did not see your post until I saw the digest with my echo. <grin>

Yes, Don must be cold up in the Michigan woods. I think his computer is on
his porch which hovers around 40/50 degrees Fahrenheit during the winter.
Perhaps he is not going out there. I can see him now, with a single malt in
one hand, by the fire in the living room. Slainte.

Thanks for the information that Red Ingle had left Spike Jones by that time.
I was not aware of the time line.

I remember the Spike Jones / Colgate show(s) very well and can still
see/hear those great effects, described in the article, in my mind.
Salvatore Dali Dixieland indeed.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone